Aalborg Waterfront II
1st prize in architectural competition. 2012
The master plan for the second stage of Aalborg Waterfront is based on the principles from the first stage, with the promenade as a unifying element. It has also drawn inspiration from the meeting between the dunes and the flat foreshore.
The lodestar of the proposal is a coherent town plinth. The plinth forms a raised base which unifies the area's distinctive, freestanding buildings. In this ensemble, the plaza around the Musikkens Hus concert hall is highlighted by an independent, rectangular plinth.
The town plinth provides flood protection, and the incisions carved into it create a series of spaces with varied functions – protected from the wind by the plinth’s sides, which are designed as seating steps.
Spacious plazas are integrated into the promenade sequence, creating lush green spaces with dense groves of trees.
In contrast to the fine materials used in the plinth around Musikkens Hus, the other surfaces used in the area are raw and simple, in asphalt, in situ-cast concrete and wood – just as in the first stage of Aalborg Waterfront.
C.F. Møller Landscape
- City.People.Light Award. 2016
- Aalborg Municipality Architecture Award. 2016
- 1st prize in architectural competition. 2012
Energy and sustainability
- 2017 Compendium of Landscape Architecture & Open Space Design, p. 376-377
- 2016 Igloo habitat & architecture #172, p. 124-131
- 2016 Landscape Architecture Korea #337, p. 14-41
- 2016 Landscape Record Vol.1, 02, p. 8-13