Copenhagen International School - Nordhavn
Property Foundation Copenhagen International School (ECIS)
26000 m², accommodating 1200 students
CIS Nordhavn is a new school building for Copenhagen International School, which is located on a prominent site in Copenhagen's new Nordhavn district.
The school is designed to link the school premises with the public sphere in the urban environment, and give the school an open ambience. The promenade outside the school will become an urban port-side space providing opportunities for relaxation and various activities.
The main school building is subdivided into four smaller towers, each specially adapted to meet the needs of children at different stages of development. For example, the classrooms for the youngest pupils are particularly large: A full range of functions will take place in and around the classroom, each of which has designated green spaces and areas with drama/performance facilities, PE, etc. The towers have from five to seven storeys. The subdivision of the school into four units also creates identity and makes it easier for people to find their way.
All four school units are built on top of the ground-floor base, which contains common and more extrovert activities, including a foyer, sports facilities, a canteen, library and performance facilities. The common areas will be open for school and local community events. The base includes a shared roof terrace which will function as a school playground for the whole school – and as a secure environment for the youngest pupils in particular.
The school building’s unique facade is covered in 12,000 solar panels, each individually angled to create a sequin-like effect, which will supply more than half of the school's annual electricity consumption. The solar cells cover a total area of 6,048 square meters making it one of the largest building-integrated solar power plants in Denmark.
C.F. Møller Architects
C.F. Møller Landscape
- Blueprint Award finalist, Best Public Use Project (Private Funding). 2017
- Special Recognition Award - Building Integrated Solar Technology. 2017
- Civic Trust Award - Commendation. 2017
- European Architecture Award - Urban Development, finalist. 2017
- ICONIC Award - Architecture. 2017
- Regional winner (Best in Europe), WAN Education Award. 2017
- Construction Project of the Year - honorable mention. 2017
- Construction Project of the Year - commended. 2017
Energy and sustainability
|High performance thermal insulation|
|Photovoltaic cells / solar heating|
|Passive solar design|
|Energy efficient design|
|High insulation values|
|Low energy windows|
|Low-energy standard (2020)|
- 2017 Byggeplads #2, p. 6-11
- 2017 Byggeri #3, p. 10-12
- 2017 Byggeri + Arkitektur INDRET, p. 34-36
- 2017 architektur #07, p. 68-75
- 2017 architektur fachmagazin, p. 54-61
- 2017 id+c #279, p. 88-91
- 2017 Journal of the Israel Teachers Union Vol. 2 #01, p. 89-90
- 2017 mondoarc #98, p.52-58
- 2017 The Plan #098, p. 98-106
- 2017 WALLS&ROOFS magazine #1, p.44-45
- 2016 Dagens Byggeri, #8, april 2016, p. 14-15
- 2015 Byggeri + arkitektur, p.58-59
- 2015 Identity Magazine #144, september 2015, p. 32-33