C.F. Møller Architects win planning and listed building consent for The Danish Church in London
7.8.2018 | The project at St. Katharine’s Church consists of the full refurbishment and landscape design for the Grade II* Listed Gothic Revival Church at Regent’s Park, London.
Designed by Ambrose Poynter and dating from 1826, the prominent brick and stone structure resides within The Crown Estate and has been occupied by the Danish Church since 1952. Today, the Danish Church in London is in more demand than ever. Throughout the year, Danes gather at St Katharine’s Church for a host of religious, cultural and social events. In order to sustain the growing activity and community outreach programmes, the Church urgently required a more effective use of its space.
A considered and comprehensive refurbishment is achieved through sensitive, heritage-led interventions. The marriage of Scandinavian design traditions in the materials and detailing denote the Danish chapter of the Church’s history. The project focuses primarily on the reconfiguration of three key spaces at the Church: The Vicarage Wing, Church Hall and South Garden. The Nave will be limited to restoration, save for the addition of underfloor heating and improvements to the pews. The project will implement a sustainable and long-term heating strategy through the addition of ground source heat pumps in the South Garden.
C.F. Møller Architects have liaised with the Danish Church in London to develop a robust brief and series of design proposals, undertaking multiple consultations with Camden Council, Historic England and The Crown Estate.
Full planning and listed building consent was granted by Camden Council on the 17th July 2018.