Biomedicum, Karolinska Institutet
Akademiska Hus (client), Karolinska Institutet (tenant)
1st. Prize in invited competition. 2010
C.F. Møller Architects
Interior: Nyréns Arkitektkontor, Beräkningskonsulterna AB, Svensk Låsprojektering AB
- Nominated for the Mies van der Rohe Award. 2021
- Building Better Healthcare Awards, Highly Commended. 2020
- MIPIM Award - Best healthcare development. 2020
- Architecture MasterPrize - Healthcare Architecture. 2019
- CODAawards, Healthcare Winner. 2019
- Årets Bygge (Building of the Year) - Sweden. 2019
- Honorable Mention, Glaspriset (The Swedish Federation of Glazing Contractors). 2018
- 1st. Prize in invited competition. 2010
- International Space Design Award—Idea-Tops Nomination Award, Public Architecture Design
Previously, the research environments of the Karolinska Institutet were scattered throughout the campus - a green park area with red brick buildings dating from the 1930s. With Biomedicum, the Karolinska Institutet will gain a single unifying environment for future research, with ultra-flexibly equipped laboratories and office facilities that will act as a catalyst for cross-cutting collaboration between the various research and study environments.
The new construction is not only intended to provide a building in the campus park, but also to accommodate the park within the building. With a glass-covered green atrium, the outdoor campus area is continued through the building, thereby reinforcing the social qualities of the green campus to the benefit of knowledge-sharing and interdisciplinarity.
The building''s openness, created amongst other things by way of a transparent, inviting ground floor with access to the atrium as well as a café and public exhibition space, also forms new linkages through the park, and thereby opens up the Karolinska Institutet both towards the city and towards the planned new university hospital, Nya Karolinska Solna (NKS), which will be directly adjacent.
Biomedicum will thus become a pivotal point in the area - a distinctive icon for the world-class research for which the Karolinska Institutet is known.