The Technical Faculty - SDU
Danish Building and Property Agency and SDU Technical Faculty
20000 m² (of these 6.000 m² laboratories)
The Technical Faculty (Faculty of Engineering) is part of the University of Southern Denmark in Odense, and constitutes a shared research and education environment for four different institutes.
The building is designed as one big envelope consisting of 5 houses connected by bridges at multiple levels crossing the heart of the house, a "piece of furniture" containing common functions and meeting-rooms, and giving access to a roof garden/café/lounge area. The many connections allow for more fluid boundaries, and more community and knowledge sharing.
The building is shrouded in an external screen revealing and shading the transparent volume. The elegant and seemingly weightless screen is made from pre-fab panels of white CRC concrete (Compact Reinforced Composite, a special type of Fibre Reinforced High Performance Concrete with high strength) featuring circular openings with an underlying solar screen and natural ventilation. The unusual screen reflects the innovation and creativity that characterises the various institutes.
The interior layout creates great flexibility, with the larger labs located on the ground floor, for easy access to the terrain and opportunity for outdoor activities.
The Technical Faculty meets the requirements for low energy class 1 according to BR95 (Danish building codes). This means minimal energy consumption, good indoor climate and use of materials with a low environmental impact in a life cycle perspective.
C.F. Møller Architects
- Nominated for “Education Building of the Year". 2015
Energy and sustainability
|High performance thermal insulation|
|Photovoltaic cells / solar heating|
|Passive solar design|
|Energy efficient design|
|Low energy windows|
- 2018 Albenaa Magazine #128, p. 1, 47-10
- 2016 bba (bau/beratung/architektur) #6, p.10-12
- 2016 C3 magazine #379, p. 84-97
- 2016 SCHULBAU #2, p. 22-23
- 2016 Umran Magazine #58, p. 12-22
- 2016 World architecture top 100, january 2016, p. 52
- 2015 Bygge- & Anlægsavisen, okt. 2015, p.6
- 2015 Byggeplads.dk, # 4, p. 58-61
- 2015 Byggeri & Arkitektur #387, p.13
- 2015 Dagens Byggeri, #391, okt. 015, p. 12-13
- 2015 Architectenkrant #298-299, p. 4
- 2015 DETAILS #40, p.116-123
- 2014 BETON, #3 2014, p. 22
- 2014 Fassadentechnik #04, p. 8-12
- 2012 World Green Buildings, p. 136-141
- 2011 Concrete #1, p. 36-37
- 2010 100 Global Architectural Schemes, p. 110-113