Oslo kommune, Skoleetaten
8.000 m² (1400 m² new building)
Stein Larsen AS (rebuilding) Bergmann Bygg AS (new building)
Stormorken og Hamre AS Lars Myhre AS Elconsultteam AS
C.F. Møller Architects in collaboration with Arkitektpartner
Grindaker AS Landskapsarkitekter
The original complex comprised a school building, designed by Norwegian architect Bredo Greve in 1930, with a later sports complex with workshops. The school expressed a desire to extend the workshops and increase classroom and workroom capacity.
The extension therefore includes new workshops, classrooms and workrooms.
The idea was to design a building which would bring the fragmented college complex together while preserving architectonic value and the outdoor environment. The primary intervention was to extend the existing workshops by excavating the school yard. The outdoor spaces lost are compensated by establishing a new plaza on the roof of the new workshop building. A leafy open courtyard marks the boundary between old and new.
A new narrow two-storey wing is built at right angles to the original college building. This wing is built on columns, which provide cover for a new staircase and wheelchair ramp which bring visitors from the lower to the upper school yard and main entrance.
The ground floor of the new wing houses kitchen and canteen, designed as a sweeping circular shape facing the new school yard. There are work spaces for teaching staff on the first floor. A low wall defines the perimeter of the new building.
The building has smooth plastered surface and a modernist design expression, the simplicity of which enhances and coordinates with the pre-existing edifices, which deserve to be conserved.