Children's House Dragen
Won after prequalification. 2008
This integrated kindergarten is one of the first in Denmark to be built and certified as a passive house, which means that its energy consumption, and thereby its CO2 footprint, has been drastically reduced. The project largely uses materials with the Nordic Swan Ecolabel, certifying that they impose a minimal environmental load.
The low energy consumption is achieved via increased insulation, dense constructions, well-regulated ventilation and highly efficient heat recycling. The building is so well insulated that the children's activities can cause the temperature in the rooms to rise.
The actual construction process was carried out in as sustainable a manner as possible. Environmentally harmful materials were rejected, while the energy consumption involved in the building process was minimised by utilising prefabricated elements with brief assembly times.
The fundamental architectural concept is a simple and clear geometric form on two levels, with the children's areas located in the best-lit southern end. The two levels are linked by staircases and ramps which accord with the geometry of the architecture, but are also designed to stimulate and challenge the children's senses and motor skills.
Arkitekt m.a.a. Torry Fax
Tækker Rådgivende ingeniører
C.F. Møller Architects
C.F. Møller Landscape
Lene Barnkob Kaas
- Odense Municipality Architecture Award. 2010
- Won after prequalification. 2008
Energy and sustainability
|High performance thermal insulation|
|Photovoltaic cells / solar heating|
|Passive solar design|
|Energy efficient design|
|Low energy windows|
- 2014 Sustainable Architecture, across Europe, p. 18
- 2013 Kindergarten Architecture II, p. 228-235
- 2013 Paradise og Growth, Kindergarde Design, p. 300-307
- 2012 Colorful Child Hood, Kindergarten design p. 272 - 279
- 2012 World Green Buildings p. 100 - 105
- 2011 Swisspearl Architecture #14, 2011 p. 33 - 35
- 2011 1. Architekturpreis Passivhaus - The Finalists, p. 68-69 Passivhaus Institut Darmstadt 2011
- 2011 1000 x European Architecture p. 31
- 2011 KINDERGARTENS, Educational Spaces by Michelle Galindo p. 142 - 145
- 2011 Play! Indoor & Outdoor (Sandu Publishing) p. 262-267
- 2011 Sustainable Architecture across Europe!, ACE, p. 18
- 2010 Diseñart Magazine April 2010