The Laindon Centre
Swan Housing Association
28,800 m² residential/commercial
Structural: Heyne Tillett Steel
Energy Design: Hoare Lee
C.F. Møller Architects in collaboration with Pollard Thomas Edwards
C.F. Møller Architects
- AR MIPIM Future Projects Award, Commendation - Regeneration and Masterplanning category. 2018
- AJ Architecture Awards - Finalist. 2017
- Housing Design Awards "Best Regeneration" Winner. 2017
- National Housing Award - best scheme in planning. 2017
- Shortlisted for the Royal Town Planning Institute's (RTPI) Award for Planning Excellence. 2017
Underused spaces and dilapidated sites will be transformed into new residential neighbourhoods, arranged around landscaped gardens and pedestrian-friendly streets that weave through a network of public spaces. Along the High Road, a variety of apartments will occupy the upper levels of the urban frontage and retail units spill out below to street level, activating the new streetscape. A new office building will be located at the southern corner of the High Road to accommodate Swan Housing Association’s headquarters and provide a landmark building at a prominent position in the scheme.
A wide variety of residential typologies will be provided. Across the masterplan sites, a mixture of apartments, terraced, semi- and detached housing are cohesively planned to establish diverse new neighbourhoods arranged to overlook richly landscaped green spaces. The new communities will be further supported by enhanced local facilities in the form of a modern new NHS health centre building.