The Natural History Museum Aarhus
The Natural History Museum in Aarhus is situated at the university campus. In spite of the location at the campus, the museum is an independent institution. The museum’s yellow façades and roofs are an integral part of the campus architecture, but in 1941, when the museum was to be erected, the building committee wanted red tiles for the roofs to mark the institution’s independence. At the last minute, C.F. Møller succeeded in convincing the committee and had the entire museum built in yellow tiles, so that the campus would still appear a homogenous whole.
2,500 sqm (exhibition)
C.F. Møller Architects
The building lies at a plateau facing the lake in the University Park and comprises three blocks varying in height. An elegant front area is created by the two lower buildings framing the tallest building, where the main entrance is located.
The museum houses exhibitions, teaching and scientific research. In 2000, C.F. Møller was in charge of a comprehensive renovation, including a new foyer and a larger area for special exhibitions on the ground floor.