HSB 2023 - Västerbroplan
1st prize in architectural competition. 2013
HSB Stockholm - Sweden’s largest housing association - turns 100 years old in 2023. By then an innovative and sustainable apartment building will have been completed in Stockholm city.
For the Västerbroplan plot in the Marieberg district, C.F. Møller in collaboration with Dinell Johansson has drawn up plans for a 34-floor wooden apartment building. The building is designed around a wooden structure with stabilising concrete cores and will act as a new characteristic landmark and meeting place in the city.
Pillars and beams will be constructed using solid and CLT-timber and inside the apartments walls, ceilings and window frames will be made from wood, visible from the outside. Wood is the natural choice when it comes to materials for innovative residential development. It is an environmentally friendly and durable material which creates a comfortable and healthy indoor climate and you might be surprised to learn that the wooden structure also constitutes a very efficient form of protection against fire.
Both social and environmental sustainability have been considered, including the construction process and choice of materials, but also in terms of residents' lifestyle: The proposal includes a bicycle and car pool operated by the housing association and apartments with kitchen interiors specially designed to make recycling easy.
A continuous surrounding double-shell in the form of a winter-garden zone surrounds the building, and adds extra living space to the homes. The winter gardens’ exterior glazing shelters the exposed timber structure, and acts as an energy-efficient thermal climate buffer zone. At street level there will be a café and a nursery and, in a new neighbourhood building, all residents in the area will be able to enjoy a marketplace, gym and bicycle storage location. A shared winter garden will make allotments possible.
Tyréns, AKT II
C.F. Møller Architects in collaboration with Dinell Johansson
C.F. Møller Landscape in collaboration with Dinell Johansson
- 1st prize in architectural competition. 2013
Energy and sustainability
|Photovoltaic cells / solar heating|
|Passive solar design|
|Low energy windows|
- 2019 FIRST #4, p.4-5
- 2016 architektur Fachmagazin #07, p. 57
- 2016 CLADmag #3, p. 57
- 2016 INTRO #01, p.104-107
- 2016 n by Norwegian #44, p.19
- 2016 Art of Many catalogue, The Danish Pavilion, Biennale Architettura, p. 351-352
- 2015 Brand & Sikring, #2, 2015, p.18-19
- 2015 BundesBauBlatt #4, 2015, p. 14-15
- 2015 L'industriel du bois, #4, april 2015, p. 8-9
- 2015 Wir Holzbauer, marts 2015, p.28-29
- 2014 FaktorRaum, aug. 14,p. 24
- 2014 Forum Nachhaltig Wirtschaften #04, p. 110-115
- 2014 SCIENCE & VIE, p. 114-115
- 2014 Survival Tech, #05,14, p. 12
- 2013 Holland Herald, dec. 2013, p. 58-59
- 2013 Mark # 46. p. 14