A request for a more effective architecture
The Danish Church, also known as St Katharine’s Church, in London is located at Regent’s Park and is a Grade II* Listed Gothic Revival Church. It dates from 1826 and was originally designed by Ambrose Poynter. The prominent brick and stone structure resides within The Crown Estate and has been occupied by the Danish Church since 1952. Today, the Danish Church in London is in more demand than ever. Throughout the year, Danes gather at St Katharine’s Church for a host of religious, cultural and social events. In order to sustain the growing activity and community outreach programmes, the Church urgently required a more effective use of its space. To achieve a fulfilling result which lived up to the demands and expectations from the Danish Church, C.F. Møller Architects liaised with the Danish Church in London to develop a robust brief and series of design proposals, undertaking multiple consultations with Camden Council, Historic England and The Crown Estate.
"We are delighted and grateful for the impressive support we have received from Danish foundations and from an ever faithful and generous congregation who, time and again, reached into their pockets to help and made this building possible. Without truly talented people that have been on the Church Council for many years, ambitious pastors, diligent staff and volunteers with courage and vision, all expertly led by the chair of the building committee, Dorte Bille Harding, the collaboration with C.F. Møller would never have taken off. So, with a celebration service and reception we celebrate the achievement of this goal. A result that exceeds everyone's expectations is an even greater joy,” says Bette Petersen Broyd, Chair of Church Council, The Danish Church.