A complex task
Through a parallel architectural assignment, the office will provide proposals for the entire planning area's structure, functions and overall design. The areas physical conditions, the fact that 80% of Sweden's rail traffic operates the station, as well as the national interests in cultural environmental protection and communication, are important input values for the assignment.
- The offices have been selected with great care, based on their abilities regarding architectural work scale, function, durability and feasibility. In addition, empathy and understanding of the specific assignment, as well as the team's organizational and collaboration aspects”, says Anna Bergström, responsible for the parallel assignment at Jernhusen.
In mid-February, the parallel assignment formally starts and then the offices have intensive work ahead of them. It is carried out independently, on the basis of a program, and in dialogue with the assessment group, which includes representatives from Jernhusen, the City of Stockholm and the Swedish Transport Administration. The final proposals will be delivered after the summer.
The assessment group then appoints the proposal that will form the basis for continued work along with the consultation documents, and thus also the office that will continue to work with Jernhusen during the first stage of the implementation of the detailed plan.
The four selected architectural offices are:
- C.F. Møller Architects, Elding Oscarson, Warm in the Winter, AJ Landskap and Atkins
- Foster + Partners, Marge Arkitekter, LAND Arkitektur, Thornton Tomasetti, Ramboll, Wenanders, and TAM Group
- KCAP, Neutelings Riedijk Architects, Arcadis, Ahrbom & Partner, Landskapslaget and Iterio
- Snøhetta, 3XN, GXN and ARUP